Karachi: At least 15 members of the same family fainted on Sunday after they consumed ‘toxic’ rice during a meal at their residence in Hingora Goth, Mominabad Town.
Senior superintendent Malir informed that a report was received of fainting of over half a dozen family members after having dinner at home in Hingora, Goth area. The fainted family members were later shifted to nearby hospital for emergency treatment.
It should be noted that conditions of all the family members is out of danger. It was told to police that the family brought rice with a food colour from a local shop of the area and police is further investigating.
“After consuming the rice, their health deteriorated and they all lost their consciousness.”
SSP said, the shopkeeper is taken into the police custody and some samples of the food colour and rice have been taken for examination. The shop has also been permanently closed.
Samples of the cooked rice, food colours have been sent to laboratory in the wake of further probing.
Earlier, food poisoning have taken the lives of two-minors shortly after the dined out in a local restaurant in Karachi’s Defence Housing Authority.