Tuesday , March 31 2020

SC turns down Rao Anwar’s request for removal of his name from ECL

a

Islamabad: The Supreme Court rejected the petition filed by by Rao Anwar, the prime accused in the Naqeebullah Mehsud murder case who sought from the Exit Control List (ECL).

Rao Anwar retired from police service on January 1, at present he is accused of killing four men including South Waziristan youngster Naqeebullah Mehsud, in a fake police encounter last year.

An apex Court bench led by Chief Justice of Pakistan Mian Saqib Nisar rejected the former policde officer’s plea. “We cannot strike his name off the ECL,” said the the top judge. He expressed scorn over provision of facilities to the accused and asked how was he acquitted?

When CJP came to know that former SSP-Malir is out of jail, he questioned, “If he was released on bail why was he given passport?”

Rao Anwar’s lawyer informed the judges that his client’s passport was already in authorities’ possession.

The counsel also told that Police officer’s family lived abroad and requested that he should be allowed to travel to meet his family. The chief justice rejected the request saying the family should come here and live with him here.

Former SSP in the petitions said that he wishes to meet his family and perform Umrah and his name should be reviewed. He also made sure that he will continue coming to courts to face the trial regularly.

“My movement abroad will not cause any hindrance, delay, or impediment in the proceedings of the court,” he argued. “Mere registration of an FIR or a pending criminal trial is not a valid reason to put the accused person in the ECL.”

 

Check Also

highways

Prime Minister gives orders to open all highways for the supply of goods

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Imran Khan ordered all national highways to be opened to eliminate barriers …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *