Islamabad: Leader of the Opposition in the National Assembly Shehbaz Sharif on Friday lashed the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf government for awarding the Mohmand Dam contract to a joint venture comprising a Chinese firm and Descon.
“I have no personal grudge with Abdul Razak Dawood but Rs300 billion of public money are being doled out blindfolded,” he mentioned while speaking on the floor on National Assembly.
Abdul Razak Dawood who is the Prime Minister’s advice on Commerce owned the DESCON, to which the contract of Mohmand Dam is awarded.
Sharif has urged to start investigation against awarding a contract. “The Rs309 billion contract was being awarded on a single bid. This is injustice,” he lamented.
He demanded a committee to probe into this matter and said that contract involved public money and hence people must know it.
He said that why govt only called a single bidder? Previously, on January 3, Federal Minister for Water Resources Faisal Vawda rejected the PML-N and Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) demands on the investigation.
“Those demanding cancellation of the contract are hitching conspiracies. Such elements want to halt the country’s progress by making dams controversial,” Vawda said while speaking to the media.
“The dam contract was awarded on merit,” he asserted and offered an impartial probe in this regard. “We are not the people who would work for commission.”