Karachi: The Sindh High Court (SHC) on Thursday directed the Sindh government to draft new police rules within six weeks.
Sindh High Court heard the contempt case against former chief secretary of the province, Rizwan Memon, Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah, inspector general Sindh police and other involved provincial govt officers. the petition is said to be filed by Karamat Ali.
Sindh high Court had given verdict on October 2017, after the petitioner challenged government to invalidate the Sindh Police Order, 2002 and its illegal action in transferring the IGP A D Khawaja of the time.
Court has urged the department to make new policies regarding the posting, transfer and tenure in police department. In contempt of court petition against Sindh Chief Minister, petitioner said that SHC had ordered the provincial government and federal government to amend the rules pertaining to transfer and posting in police departments at all stages.
During today’s hearing, Advocate General Sindh Salman Talibuddin informed the court that the provincial government had formed standing committee to form new police rules.
He said: “We are trying to introduce reforms in the police, hence six weeks be given for the same.”
Prosecution lawyer Faisal Siddiqui told that new police policies had been sent to the Sindh government for almost three times for approval but Sindh govt is not paying heed to court orders.